Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The power of Music


Today was kind of a hard day. Asher had a huge meltdown going into playgroup for MOMS club today. I mean the crying, trying to run away, refusing to talk tantrum that lasted twenty minutes kind of a melt down.

Later, I completely lost track of time and forgot to go to my Psychiatrist appointment. I never miss appointments! Ever! Good thing I still have a lot of medication left and it was not a med appointment!

Then, the kids got to bed late because we went to t-ball and they were hungry and needed a snack. Jonah doesn't handle being tired very well at all and threw a major tantrum over Asher wearing his shorts as pajama bottoms. Again there was crying and yelling for twenty minutes.

I kept my cool and amazingly still had the Spirit with me after all that. I think the Depakote that I take once at night has really helped. I am able to nap after waking up at 4:30 am in the morning every day for the last week, when I couldn't before because I was so manic. Sleeping does wonders for my temper.

Anyways, as I was still calm, I felt that I should sing to each child as they went to bed, as they were slightly disturbed from all the yelling and screaming Jonah had been doing. I sang "I love to see the temple" to Asher. He settled in and visibly relaxed. I sang to Ethan and Jonah the same song and Ethan spoke for a few minutes about the temple and the visit they made as a Ward Primary. It turned into a good conversation about how the temple is. "There was no trash, Mom." Ethan remembered.

Elizabeth was crying because of a future trip we will be taking away from the kids. I comforted her and as I left she asked "Will you sing me a song?" I did and felt the Spirit. It's amazing the power of Music. It can restore peace and hope into our lives when we least expect it.

This is my blog. My name is Megan

1 comment:

Nicole said...

You're a great Mom Megan! You're kids are such cute, polite kids :) We all have these hard days. Thanks for sharing your idea of singing. That's one I will remember!
PS my email is nicure@gmail.com. Email me so I can invite you to my blog!