Monday, June 7, 2010

Broken Emotional Thermometer


Elizabeth playing our new digital Roland piano!

I was reading about Bi-Polar (which I have) the other day and it explained it in a way that I liked. Having bi-polar is like having a broken emotional thermometer. Imagine, if you will, a person who is very chilly on a summers day. That is what it is like to feel Depression when nothing in the world is going wrong. You are extremely sad that you have to make lunch that day. That is not normal.

Or, on the other hand, you are extremely hot on a day in January. That is equal to being blissfully happy, like you are going to get married happy, when you are only going to Church. Mania!

Yesterday I was blissfully happy- like I was going to be getting married. And it was a normal Sunday. A fast sunday even. And I was tired. From our long trip to California in back. I took a nap and woke up happy and hyper. I bore my testimony in Church. Twice. I invited a family of 6 over for dinner. This is usually not my normal behavior. I tend to avoid doing those things.

Josh, tired from the trip, looked at me when we got home from Church and said "Are you manic?" "I don't know! I'm trying to follow promptings and that's what I got!" "Did you feel it in your heart and your mind?" he replied. "Yes!!! Ok, well I see that it was a little over the top and I have been writing long blog posts and I did lose quit a bit of sleep on our trip to California. Ok. Yeah. I'm manic. But I'm taking medicine- how can this happen to me! Now I will have to up my medicine and we'll never have another baby!"

Phew. There you go. All is fine now. If I have to up my meds and not have another baby for awhile that's okay. I'm 32. I've got time.

This is my blog. My name is Megan Abbott.

1 comment:

Story of our Life said...

I found your blog from "Depressed (But not unhappy) mormom mommy's blog. The address you put in I can't get to come up on my computer. However, followed your screen name.

Anyway...when I read the comment to this post I thought "Hmm, that sounds like me. My thermometer is always broken. And well, it truly 'fits' me to a t.


I look fwd to reading your blog(s) and learning a bit more from you and about you.

Love and Hugs,

Gala

(who is also LDS)